Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot OS from USB ? + other suggestions
Lightbulb 
Hello,

Suppose that I wanted to run Kali or Tails from a USB key for a one-time session (for instance pentesting on the field), and assuming images compatible with the Gemini are made available at some point, how would I go about booting from a USB key ?

Other suggestions:
  • The partition tool is great, however why can't we get rid of Android  ? I have zero interest in Android and no need for a secondary partition that consumes a few Gb for nothing.
  • Regarding booting, using the side switch to select the OS is not convenient. A simple text menu like Grub would be more straightforward
  • Planet Computer should step up security and provide signed images, and publish a public PGP key IMO (the MD5 are better than nothing but do not guarantee the software has not been tampered with)
  • Consider making the downloads available through torrent ?
Thanks for the good work. I tried out Sailfish a few days ago and it's surprisingly good. Too bad it's not fully open source Wink
(07-07-2018, 06:16 PM)Marjorie Wrote: Hello,

Suppose that I wanted to run Kali or Tails from a USB key for a one-time session (for instance pentesting on the field), and assuming images compatible with the Gemini are made available at some point, how would I go about booting from a USB key ?

Other suggestions:
  • The partition tool is great, however why can't we get rid of Android  ? I have zero interest in Android and no need for a secondary partition that consumes a few Gb for nothing.
  • Regarding booting, using the side switch to select the OS is not convenient. A simple text menu like Grub would be more straightforward
  • Planet Computer should step up security and provide signed images, and publish a public PGP key IMO (the MD5 are better than nothing but do not guarantee the software has not been tampered with)
  • Consider making the downloads available through torrent ?
Thanks for the good work. I tried out Sailfish a few days ago and it's surprisingly good. Too bad it's not fully open source Wink

Marjorie,

You can get rid of Android, just set the partition size of Android down to zero, you will be left with Linux (Debian and/or Sailfish) only.
Hmm. You are right, I just need to unselect Android from all the combo boxes in the partition tool Smile
Except for Sailfish that isn't available yet as first boot option.