Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typo in the "Linux flash guide"
Hi,

I caught a small typo in the Linux Flash Guide on http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...lash_Guide.

It says: "Once downloaded please unzip both the flash tool and the firmware. Next, run the flash tool by double clicking on flash_tool in the SP Flash folder.", however, there is NO "SP Flash" folder.  I tried logging in to notify dguido admin, but developer credentials are NOT working on support.planetcom.co.uk website.

We should probably rectify both - i.e. allow login (for catching bugs on the support website), and also correct incorrect reference to SP Flash folder.

Thanks,

Z.
(03-11-2018, 01:01 AM)Zvonimir Wrote: Hi,

I caught a small typo in the Linux Flash Guide on http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...lash_Guide.

It says: "Once downloaded please unzip both the flash tool and the firmware. Next, run the flash tool by double clicking on flash_tool in the SP Flash folder.", however, there is NO "SP Flash" folder.  I tried logging in to notify dguido admin, but developer credentials are NOT working on support.planetcom.co.uk website.

We should probably rectify both - i.e. allow login (for catching bugs on the support website), and also correct incorrect reference to SP Flash folder.

Thanks,

Z.

Thanks Zvonimir - just updated the docs.

Davide
At the end of the document is the most important typo / mistake:

To start in recovery mode, keep pressed the Esc (On) key until the screen turns ON.
To boot Linux, keep pressed the side button key until the screen turns ON.

it should be:

To boot Linux, keep pressed the Esc (On) key until the screen turns ON.
To start in recovery mode, keep pressed the side button key until the screen turns ON.
(03-16-2018, 06:51 PM)gemilino Wrote: At the end of the document is the most important typo / mistake:

To start in recovery mode, keep pressed the Esc (On) key until the screen turns ON.

it should be:

To start in recovery mode, keep pressed the side button key until the screen turns ON.

Actually the guide is fine with the current Linux image.

We had a very early Linux image a couple of weeks or so, where the buttons were inverted. If you happen to have this old image, then yes, Esc (On) will boot Linux and side button will boot recovery mode.

But with the current image is the side button to boot Linux, as it was intended.
(03-19-2018, 09:27 PM)dguidi Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 06:51 PM)gemilino Wrote: At the end of the document is the most important typo / mistake:

it should be:

Actually the guide is fine with the current Linux image.

We had a very early Linux image a couple of weeks or so, where the buttons were inverted. If you happen to have this old image, then yes, Esc (On) will boot Linux and side button will boot recovery mode.

But with the current image is the side button to boot Linux, as it was  intended.

Thank you for clarification. I will try the new image next.
--= sailfish OS for gemini PDA =--
(03-20-2018, 09:05 AM)gemilino Wrote: Thank you for clarification. I will try the new image next.

Hi,

I flashed the new package and I can only boot the "dead droid". No linux debian boot for me. Tried
 ON til screen turns on = dead droid
 short ON til vibrate + side button til screen turns on = dead droid
 short ON til vibrate = android

I flashed the old package (downloaded ~ begin of march). I can start linux, android and dead droid but with the keys I told above.

Happy flashing..
(03-22-2018, 02:54 PM)gemilino Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 09:05 AM)gemilino Wrote: Thank you for clarification. I will try the new image next.

Hi,

I flashed the new package and I can only boot the "dead droid". No linux debian boot for me. Tried
 ON til screen turns on = dead droid
 short ON til vibrate = android

I flashed the old package (downloaded ~ begin of march). I can start linux, android and dead droid but with the keys I told above.

Happy flashing..

It seems that when you do:

the system detects ON still being pressed. This will override the side button, and will start the recovery mode (dead droid).
Youd should press ON for less time. If you start from the Gemini powered off, then you should be able to switch it on by pressing it for just 1-2 seconds, while keeping the side button to boot into Linux. If instead you are already running Android and you choose to reboot, then you don't need to press ON at all, just the side button and it will boot into Linux.

Of course you can keep the old version if you prefer.

Hope this helps.
ok, you're right. I can start it this way. I pressed the On button to long (~1,5 secs are a good value).
Frankly, this is not intuitive at all.
I have never been able to get Linux booting on my device. But it could be that I got the flashing wrong.
I can switch on the device by keeping the On button pressed for about 1.5 sec but should I keep the side button pressed all along, or only at a certain time. I tried different ways. All I get is Android.

Why not make a simple text menu like Grub, so you can choose which system to boot.
(03-24-2018, 12:34 AM)Marjorie Wrote: Frankly, this is not intuitive at all.
I have never been able to get Linux booting on my device. But it could be that I got the flashing wrong.
I can switch on the device by keeping the On button pressed for about 1.5 sec but should I keep the side button pressed all along, or only at a certain time. I tried different ways. All I get is Android.

Why not make a simple text menu like Grub, so you can choose which system to boot.

device is off: press side button and press ON for ~1,5secs (if it vibrates it was to long) but do not release the side button until the screen turns on.