Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typo in the "Linux flash guide"
Thank you! Your screenshot enabled me to find the problem. My problem resetting the IMEI from the terminal was due to a problem with the Gemini keyboard configuration.  My Gemini has US-English keyboard; default Google OS; and Gemini Keyboard app installed, updated, and configured and enabled for Gemini keyboard US-English as default. Many of the non-aphanumeric characters are mis-mapped in the terminal app.

The key combination labelled on the US-English hardware keyboard for single-quote, Fn-M, actually generated a "grave accent" in the terminal app. It looked suspicious, but plausible for a "tilted" or "curly" single quote character. And since I could find no other key combination that would produce anything that could possibly be a single-quote character, and this matched the keyboard hardware labelling, I figured it had to be the single-quote character. I was only sure it was wrong when I saw that it didn't match the appearance of the single-quote character in your screenshot.

Some other keys are also mis-mapped in the terminal (although correct in most GUI apps), but I found the other desired characters for the terminal command elsewhere on the keyboard. Fn-L is labelled on the hardware keyboard as double-quote, but actually generates semicolon in the terminal app. But this was obvious, and by trial and error I found that shift-2, which is labelled as @, actually generates double-quote in the terminal app.

Maybe you were testing with a UK or international English hardware keyboard or software option in the keyboard app, so you didn't notice this?

There are also similar keyboard mapping problems in the initial Gemini and Google setup screens, before you get to the option to change keyboard mapping.

I found no key combination that would generate single-quote in the terminal. I tried to cut and paste from another app, but couldn't find a "paste" command in the terminal app. Long-press, which pops up an edit dialog in many android apps, didn't produce any response in the terminal app.

An on-screen keyboard would pop up in the terminal, but was unresponsive in landascape mode.

I eventually found a workaround to generate the necessary single-quote character in the terminal:

(1) Turn off "force landscape" in the Gemini app bar settings. (IMHO this should be off by default. Many apps malfunction, or fail silently, or hide essntial UI elements, when forced into landscape.)

(2) Turn the Gemini to portrait orientation.

(3) Pop up the on-screen keyboard.

(4) Enter single-quote from the on-screen keyboard in the terminal app in portait orientation.

Hope this helps anyone else who flashes over their IMEI or wants to use use terminal commands.

Messages In This Thread
Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by Zvonimir - 03-11-2018, 01:01 AM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by dguidi - 03-11-2018, 06:47 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by gemilino - 03-16-2018, 06:51 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by dguidi - 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by gemilino - 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by gemilino - 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by dguidi - 03-23-2018, 12:10 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by gemilino - 03-23-2018, 03:57 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by Marjorie - 03-24-2018, 12:34 AM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by gemilino - 03-26-2018, 12:23 PM
RE: Typo in the "Linux flash guide" - by Marjorie - 04-01-2018, 08:11 PM