Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LXQt GUI setup
My first post here. I've just installed Linux on my new Gemini. After installation, the configuration info at https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboar...i/DebianTP was very useful, so thanks for that.

To.(hopefully) make this a useful first post, I thought I'd share my LXQt GUI configuration options for the Gemini. These can mostly be set in the GUI, but I found it easier to do it as described here via ssh and a text editor (nano is installed by default).

For all of these changes, the file you need to edit is ~/.config/lxqt/panel.conf (make a backup first if you're unsure). You'll need to make these changes when you're not logged in to LXQt, or it might overwrite your modifications.

Please feel welcome to share any GUI settings you've found useful.

Make things bigger

By default, icons and menu text are small. Make them bigger by modifying the following values under [panel1]:

iconSize=48
        panelSize=64

And adding/modifying the following under [mainmenu]:

customFont=true
        customFontSize=13

(default font size is 11).

Show the date in the clock widget

Under [clock] add:

dateFormat=dd/MM/yyyy
        showDate=below

Optionally, you can change the time format, by adding/modifying timeFormat, for example:

timeFormat=HH:mm     (default: 24 hour clock)
        timeFormat=hh:mma    (12 hour with am/pm)

Fix to make the volume widget actually change the volume

The volume control didn't work for me until, under [volume], I modified:

device=3

(Still not perfect: audio goes to both headphones and speakers - I can't get it to go to just the headphones.)

Move main panel to left edge

Since the Gemini screen is not tall, saving vertical space for application windows is useful, so I moved the panel to the left edge.

Under [panel1] modify:

position=Left

Optional: To stop the clock rotating, and to stop the font for the date being shrunk, under [clock] add/modify:

autoRotate=false
        dateFormat=dd/MM/yy

Add a second panel on right side

Duplicate the whole [panel1] section, but change the name to [panel2] and change:

position=Right

Then, under [general], change:

panels=panel1, panel2

(The name "panel2" can be be whatever you want - as long as it matches in both places.)

Now, under [panel1] and [panel2], change the plugins list to your taste. I like:

[panel1]
        plugins=quicklaunch, tray, statusnotifier, volume, mainmenu

[panel2]
        plugins=taskbar, showdesktop, clock

Customise the (now vertical) Taskbar

With a vertical taskbar, I found it useful to add the following options under [taskbar]:

autoRotate=false    (stop items being shown sideways)
        buttonStyle=Icon     (show icon without text)