Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What works?
The latest campaign update mentioned that not all drivers are working under Linux. What exactly is working and what is not? What do we have specs for to write our own software (e.g. baseband for writing a dialler or SMS application)? Does the cellular network connectivity work under Linux? Are there GPU drivers?

Also, what bootloader is used and can we get sources (the update seems to indicate that we will be able to soon)?

Looking forward to getting my hands on hardware! Unfortunately I have an order number > 1200 and < 1300 so I am just out of range of the first batch...
I'm interested in this one as well. 4G works on Sailfish OS, but Sailfish is not true standalone Linux OS, right? It runs on top of Android, so it is expected 4G works here. But what about true Linux? Debian or Ubuntu? Without LTE support in Debian it would be huge letdown for me.
It would be nice to get some confirmation on WiFi and BT, but I'm assuming if it was working then PC would have mentioned it. I would be very surprised if the ethernet adapter on the usb hub wasn't working.
(02-19-2018, 06:50 PM)munchausen Wrote: The latest campaign update mentioned that not all drivers are working under Linux. What exactly is working and what is not? What do we have specs for to write our own software (e.g. baseband for writing a dialler or SMS application)? Does the cellular network connectivity work under Linux? Are there GPU drivers?
I volunteered to help with Linux support, so please don't take  this as official reply. What definitely works is display, sound, Wi-Fi, keyboard, touch. SailfishOS also has calls, SMS messages, 3G/4G data and camera.

The good thing about SailfishOS middleware is that it's open source and can be packaged for Debian/Ubuntu. Yet currently there is no UI in desktop DEs to hook it to.

The good examples how to do it would be UBPorts (community continuation of Ubuntu Touch) and Plasma Mobile. We have Halium LXC container with minimal Android base running for using libhybris and interacting with modem. Adam Boardman has been porting messaging and dialer apps (see https://github.com/gemian). I didn't get to it yet personally, but those can be used in perspective.

As for GPU, yes and no. There are no Mali provided blobs for MediaTek SoCs running Linux userspace, unfortunately (those drivers come in binary form even for hardware vendors, so it's only MediaTek who can do something about it). As workaround, there is a way to use Android drivers with libhybris. This works best with Wayland or Mir (like Sailfish/UBPorts/KDE Plasma), but I've have been doing a driver to let Xorg server use it as well (https://github.com/NotKit/xf86-video-hwcomposer). It needs more work for performance/compatibility, but can run apps like glmark2-es2 or even GNOME Shell, as demonstrated on Ubuntu 17.04 photo.
(02-19-2018, 08:18 PM)Michael Wrote: It would be nice to get some confirmation on WiFi and BT, but I'm assuming if it was working then PC would have mentioned it. I would be very surprised if the ethernet adapter on the usb hub wasn't working.

Wi-Fi works, BT - there is a way, but not done yet. Ethernet adapter on USB hub should work, but wasn't tested by me Smile .
Thanks for the in depth reply! Sounds like things are in better shape than I expected!

So it sounds like I could use Wayland in another distro and use libhybris to get some use out of the GPU? Would I be able to use Weston at the very least as a basic desktop?
(02-19-2018, 08:37 PM)Michael Wrote: So it sounds like I could use Wayland in another distro and use libhybris to get some use out of the GPU? Would I be able to use Weston at the very least as a basic desktop?

I didn't consider Weston, since it's only reference compositor. It's feasible, but you need forked Weston to render through hwcomposer backend (it was done before). Another option is KWin with Plasma Mobile/Desktop shell.
I'm hoping I might be able to help out with the Linux support too. I was involved in the effort of getting Debian running on the Compaq iPAQ back in the early 2000s and did a lot of tinkering on Maemo on my n900. My skills are possibly a bit rusty these days though... Can't wait to get my hands on the hardware... Shouldn't be long now.
@TheKit

Is it possible to run X with an fbdev driver?
(02-19-2018, 10:46 PM)Michael Wrote: @TheKit

Yes, that's was done for Debian demonstration.
(02-19-2018, 11:00 PM)TheKit Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 10:46 PM)Michael Wrote: @TheKit

Yes, that's was done for Debian demonstration.

Great that's what I thought, but just wanted to check!

Sorry to bombard you with questions but what kernel versions have you seen running?