Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android version on release?
Anyone know exactly which version of Android is going to be shipped with this device? (technical blurb simply says "latest release" - whatever that means)
I think it's 7
(02-19-2018, 11:12 PM)Michael Wrote: I think it's 7

I got a reply from Planet - it's Android 7.1
Does the Linux kernel source being available help with the possibility of community driven Android updates?
Yes to a point, but all android phones should have kernel sources available - and most do. Gemini development should be better than most given Planet Computers' willingness to engage the community. However: http://www.xda-developers.com/google-man...droid-oreo
(02-20-2018, 08:02 AM)gfoster Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 11:12 PM)Michael Wrote: I think it's 7

I got a reply from Planet - it's Android 7.1

Do you know if it will be rooted by default?
[/quote]
[/quote]

I hope not - some software doesn't like rooted devices, but equally I agree it ought to be easy to do, if that is what you want.
[/quote]

I hope not - some software doesn't like rooted devices, but equally I agree it ought to be easy to do, if that is what you want.
[/quote]

Update 49 said the partitioning, etc., software allows rooting, so it is apparently both easy and supported: “You can also use the tool to manually update Android, for example to install a rooted Android version.” which also suggests that it won’t ship rooted.

dep
(02-22-2018, 10:13 PM)depscribe Wrote: Do you know if it will be rooted by default?

[/quote]

Update 49 said the partitioning, etc., software allows rooting, so it is apparently both easy and supported: “You can also use the tool to manually update Android, for example to install a rooted Android version.” which also suggests that it won’t ship rooted.

dep
[/quote]

Yeap, an easy rooting process would be highly appreciated with out the fear of bricking the device
So probably Lineage OS (former Cyanogen Mod) should run OK ? Any info from the source or happy owner on this ?