Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDMI Output not working
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get the Gemini USB-C -> HDMI cable working on Android, but I get no output on everything TV I've tried to connect it to. HDMI is switched on in the settings, but there's no option for setting the resolution.

Am I missing some trick to get the HDMI output turned on? Tried googling etc but can't find any specific info about steps required to enable it other than just turning it on in the settings.

Would appreciate it if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I just have a faulty cable?

Cheers!!
Do you have official HDMI cable from Planet C.?
Hi Fecn,

Did you try both USB Ports on the Gemini? ISTR some video where it was said that one was for Host mode and one was for Device mode.
(03-02-2018, 03:40 PM)Anonymous_ Wrote: Do you have official HDMI cable from Planet C.?

Yes - the official cable and the official Gemini PDA which arrived with me yesterday. I've tried it on a big 4K Samsung TV and also on a little 720p screen and no output on either one.

(03-02-2018, 04:22 PM)andyjpb Wrote: Hi Fecn,

Did you try both USB Ports on the Gemini? ISTR some video where it was said that one was for Host mode and one was for Device mode.

Yes - tried both ports. The instructions say that it is the port on the right hand side next to the smart button which is the one for HDMI, but when that didn't work I gave the other one a try too.
Same here. Has anyone had theirs work yet?
Mine works on a Samsung Full HD TV as well as as a 4K Benq PC monitor. It did not work on a small 7" HDMI monitor that is probably only capable of 720 thus I suspect the Gemini wants to see a 1080i or 1080p monitor. I have a Dr.HDMI inteface somewhere that would let me investigate this further. I used the right hand USBC socket with the official adaptor. Here is a picture of the Samsung. The Gemini looks tiny in front of the TV!    
I have finally managed to get the HDMI output to work... at least for a few seconds. After a bit more fiddling about, I noticed that there was an icon sometimes briefly appearing in the top bar when the cable was plugged in. Holding things in just the right way so the icon stayed on the screen, I worked out that it was telling me that a HDMI cable was connected. After some more fiddling I finally managed to get a picture up on an old 15" 720p screen.

It appears that the right-hand side USB-C on my gemini has bad soldering. It feels a little bit loose and you have to hold the cable in exactly the right position to get any kind of output. 

So... Good to know that it's not the software side of things failing. Rather frustrating that my nice new PDA is going to have to go back and get fixed :-)
Does anybody know what the specs are for Gemini HDMI and its associated adaptor/cable (and hence which 3rd party cables might work)?

I just tried my Gemini with a Uni adaptor (which does DisplayPort 1.2 internally) and no joy with either of the 1080p screens that I have to hand.
(03-12-2018, 11:57 AM)cpswan Wrote: Does anybody know what the specs are for Gemini HDMI and its associated adaptor/cable (and hence which 3rd party cables might work)?

I just tried my Gemini with a Uni adaptor (which does DisplayPort 1.2 internally) and no joy with either of the 1080p screens that I have to hand.

The HDMI cable is custom made - not compatible with other solutions.
(03-12-2018, 10:30 PM)dguidi Wrote:
(03-12-2018, 11:57 AM)cpswan Wrote: Does anybody know what the specs are for Gemini HDMI and its associated adaptor/cable (and hence which 3rd party cables might work)?

The HDMI cable is custom made - not compatible with other solutions.

That's a bit disappointing as nowhere is it specced that the external output via usb is a custom interface...