Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android
Hi!

There was talk during the campaign about providing a GNU/Linux user-land on top of the Android system on the Gemini. Is there any news of this?

What I really want to be able to use my device for is off-line editing, of both text files and source code. For that I only need a text-based user-land, with access to regular developer tools (gcc, make, ...), text editors (joe, jed, vi, emacs) and version control (git, hg, cvs).

I tried the GNURoot Debian app, and while it does give me something that looks like a command line, it cannot access things like the SD card, which makes it difficult to use for anything useful.
(03-20-2018, 08:36 AM)nafmo Wrote: Hi!

There was talk during the campaign about providing a GNU/Linux user-land on top of the Android system on the Gemini. Is there any news of this?

What I really want to be able to use my device for is off-line editing, of both text files and source code. For that I only need a text-based user-land, with access to regular developer tools (gcc, make, ...), text editors (joe, jed, vi, emacs) and version control (git, hg, cvs).

I tried the GNURoot Debian app, and while it does give me something that looks like a command line, it cannot access things like the SD card, which makes it difficult to use for anything useful.

GNURoot Debian would be the way to go. The SD card access might be just a permission issue. You might want to root your Gemin to have the ability to set those permissions.

See http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...id_Support for more information about how to root your Gemini.
If you root your device then I would go with Linux Deploy and XSDL Xserver personally.
(03-21-2018, 02:57 PM)dguidi Wrote:

GNURoot Debian would be the way to go. The SD card access might be just a permission issue. You might want to root your Gemin to have the ability to set those permissions.

See http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...id_Support for more information about how to root your Gemini.
Which partition on the mmc is the Linux one?  It would be cool to be able to share the Linux binaries when in dedicated or Android mode.
I am waiting for an SD card to arrive today, so will have a solution imminently but would love to have one shared Linux so that potentially I can fix the problems with the terminals from somewhere a little easier to work with.

Great little machine BTW, my Psion muscle memory is coming back really quickly.

Faye
(05-05-2018, 04:37 PM)Beiriannydd Wrote:

Which partition on the mmc is the Linux one?  It would be cool to be able to share the Linux binaries when in dedicated or Android mode.
I am waiting for an SD card to arrive today, so will have a solution imminently but would love to have one shared Linux so that potentially I can fix the problems with the terminals from somewhere a little easier to work with.

Faye

Hey Faye,

The Linux partition is /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/linux, or /dev/block/mmcblk0p29.

However, you will have to root your Android to be able to mount it (you can find information about how to root Android here: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...i_Firmware).

Davide
(05-07-2018, 09:14 PM)dguidi Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 04:37 PM)Beiriannydd Wrote:

Faye

Hey Faye,

The Linux partition is /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/linux, or /dev/block/mmcblk0p29.

However, you will have to root your Android to be able to mount it (you can find information about how to root Android here: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...i_Firmware).

Davide

Thanks Davide.  I followed the instructions to flash the dual boot and rooted android and then got LinuxDeploy pointed at the Debian partition. Now I just open a termux window and type linux and I am the gemini user!  I am getting a few build issues sorted out but I should be able to build the kernel soon (a number of header files don't seem to be in the correct locations or rather the Makefiles don't include the correct include path.  I have a golang dev environment working on the device right now but the brass ring is full docker support from Android (I don't know if LinuxDeploy will get in the way of that).

I definitely prefer the Linux on Android experience to the straight Linux experience on the box right now but this is my favorite unit of computing right now.

Faye
(05-10-2018, 08:52 AM)Beiriannydd Wrote: [quote pid='155' dateline='1525724063']
Hey Faye,

Davide

Thanks Davide.  I followed the instructions to flash the dual boot and rooted android and then got LinuxDeploy pointed at the Debian partition. Now I just open a termux window and type linux and I am the gemini user!  I am getting a few build issues sorted out but I should be able to build the kernel soon (a number of header files don't seem to be in the correct locations or rather the Makefiles don't include the correct include path.  I have a golang dev environment working on the device right now but the brass ring is full docker support from Android (I don't know if LinuxDeploy will get in the way of that).

I definitely prefer the Linux on Android experience to the straight Linux experience on the box right now but this is my favorite unit of computing right now.
[/quote]

Wow, great to hear it is working! I haven't had the time to try out the rooted image yet, but I should try to get the same setup working on my device. Is it difficult to get the LinuxDeploy software to use the Linux partition, or is it straightforward?

Sharing the partitions sound wonderful. I would like to be able to run X as well. I mostly use command-line, for editing web pages and source code, but I guess I can live with rebooting into a full Linux environment when I need those.
(05-11-2018, 08:13 AM)nafmo Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 08:52 AM)Beiriannydd Wrote: [quote pid='155' dateline='1525724063']
Hey Faye,

Davide

If I just want to use the command line, then having a rooted installation with just Android is enough, right? No need to use the dual-boot Android/Linux image.

Does anyone know if it's possible to root an existing installation without flashing everything? (Similar to how rooting Android phones normally work; though sometimes the initial bootloader unlock wipes the data partition for security reasons)
(05-11-2018, 08:12 PM)michel-slm Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 08:13 AM)nafmo Wrote:
Hey Faye,

Davide

If I just want to use the command line, then having a rooted installation with just Android is enough, right? No need to use the dual-boot Android/Linux image.

Does anyone know if it's possible to root an existing installation without flashing everything? (Similar to how rooting Android phones normally work; though sometimes the initial bootloader unlock wipes the data partition for security reasons)

[/quote]
Yes, if you have a standard Android system, just flash the boot image on it, using flash tool in "download only" mode.
See attached screenshot, firmware is available at http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...i_Firmware

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-11-2018, 10:06 PM)dguidi Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 08:12 PM)michel-slm Wrote: If I just want to use the command line, then having a rooted installation with just Android is enough, right? No need to use the dual-boot Android/Linux image.

Yes, if you have a standard Android system, just flash the boot image on it, using flash tool in "download only" mode.
See attached screenshot, firmware is available at http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...i_Firmware

Great, thanks! Going to try this tomorrow (at work with no Windows nor Linux box). Going to try using the Linux flasher tool as well.