Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android
(03-21-2018, 02:57 PM)dguidi Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 08:36 AM)nafmo Wrote: Hi!

There was talk during the campaign about providing a GNU/Linux user-land on top of the Android system on the Gemini. Is there any news of this?

What I really want to be able to use my device for is off-line editing, of both text files and source code. For that I only need a text-based user-land, with access to regular developer tools (gcc, make, ...), text editors (joe, jed, vi, emacs) and version control (git, hg, cvs).

I tried the GNURoot Debian app, and while it does give me something that looks like a command line, it cannot access things like the SD card, which makes it difficult to use for anything useful.

GNURoot Debian would be the way to go. The SD card access might be just a permission issue. You might want to root your Gemin to have the ability to set those permissions.

See http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...id_Support for more information about how to root your Gemini.
Which partition on the mmc is the Linux one?  It would be cool to be able to share the Linux binaries when in dedicated or Android mode.
I am waiting for an SD card to arrive today, so will have a solution imminently but would love to have one shared Linux so that potentially I can fix the problems with the terminals from somewhere a little easier to work with.

Great little machine BTW, my Psion muscle memory is coming back really quickly.

Faye

Messages In This Thread
GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android - by nafmo - 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM
RE: GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android - by Beiriannydd - 05-05-2018, 04:37 PM