Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android
(05-10-2018, 08:52 AM)Beiriannydd Wrote: [quote pid='155' dateline='1525724063']
Hey Faye,

The Linux partition is /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/11230000.msdc0/by-name/linux, or /dev/block/mmcblk0p29.

However, you will have to root your Android to be able to mount it (you can find information about how to root Android here: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php...i_Firmware).

Davide

Thanks Davide.  I followed the instructions to flash the dual boot and rooted android and then got LinuxDeploy pointed at the Debian partition. Now I just open a termux window and type linux and I am the gemini user!  I am getting a few build issues sorted out but I should be able to build the kernel soon (a number of header files don't seem to be in the correct locations or rather the Makefiles don't include the correct include path.  I have a golang dev environment working on the device right now but the brass ring is full docker support from Android (I don't know if LinuxDeploy will get in the way of that).

I definitely prefer the Linux on Android experience to the straight Linux experience on the box right now but this is my favorite unit of computing right now.
[/quote]

Wow, great to hear it is working! I haven't had the time to try out the rooted image yet, but I should try to get the same setup working on my device. Is it difficult to get the LinuxDeploy software to use the Linux partition, or is it straightforward?

Sharing the partitions sound wonderful. I would like to be able to run X as well. I mostly use command-line, for editing web pages and source code, but I guess I can live with rebooting into a full Linux environment when I need those.

Messages In This Thread
GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android - by nafmo - 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM
RE: GNU/Linux user-land on top of Android - by nafmo - 05-11-2018, 08:13 AM