Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Questions
Hi. I just got my Gemini and I have a few questions:
1. There seems to be a screen protector on the screen (because there are air bubbles). I cannot, however, remove it. Is it removable?
2. I see that there is a program to control the LEDs but I don't see a way to assign individual light patterns to particular callers. Is this feature working yet?
3. I heard that Planet Computers is developing a calendar/agenda app. Is that available yet? If so, where can I find it?
4, I have been trying to download the Linux software but when I try to extract the .zip file, it fails at 52%, producing a Windows error (0x80004005). Is this a known issue? I have tried on two Windows computers, both running the latest version of Windows that came out a few days ago.
Any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks,
BenT
1. Yes, it is removable. Planet Computers have mentioned in comments that it was only meant to protect the screen during shipment. You have to peel it off carefully as it is tightly fit to the screen (took me a few attempts to get it off).
2. No, it is not available yet.
3. I don't think that is available yet.
4. What are you decompressing the file with? ISTR that Windows Compressed Folders (the built-in unzipper) has problems with big files (zip64 format). Try using WinZip, 7-zip or some other tool instead and see if it works better.
(05-09-2018, 11:41 AM)nafmo Wrote: 1. Yes, it is removable. Planet Computers have mentioned in comments that it was only meant to protect the screen during shipment. You have to peel it off carefully as it is tightly fit to the screen (took me a few attempts to get it off).
2. No, it is not available yet.
3. I don't think that is available yet.
4. What are you decompressing the file with? ISTR that Windows Compressed Folders (the built-in unzipper) has problems with big files (zip64 format). Try using WinZip, 7-zip or some other tool instead and see if it works better.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I can confirm that your suggestion about using a different unzip program did the trick (although I used 9 zip which I downloaded from the Windows Store). One small point in case it helps others: When Linux loads, it prompts for a password for an account named "gemini". I couldn't find the password anywhere so I tried obvious choices and as it turns out, the password is "gemini" (the same as the user name). Finally, I saw someone on the forum complain about having to force shutdowns because Linux freezes after the shutdown command. Linux is VERY slow on the Gemini, so wait periods are longer than we are used to for modern devices. The Gemini will turn off after Linux tells it to, but it will take several minutes.