Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What applications and desktop environment come with the Debian image?
I'm wondering what applications and desktop environment come with the Debian image for the Gemini? Is there a list somewhere? 

From videos I have seen, it looks like it comes with the XFCE desktop, is that the case? I was just wondering why perhaps Gnome 3 wasn't chosen as the default, as it is quite keyboard and touchscreen friendly, and possibly also more suited to physically smaller displays than some environments.

Do programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office come already installed, or is the install fairly minimalist so as not to take up too much space with the initial install?
Whilst I am not typically familiar with the finer details of what different desktop environment do and don't include these days, it seems to me that the default environment is LXQT with the additional option for Plasma. In both cases, the applications installed seem to be what one would expect from those DE's, and are quite comprehensive.
(05-21-2018, 06:21 PM)davecykl Wrote: I'm wondering what applications and desktop environment come with the Debian image for the Gemini? Is there a list somewhere?   

From videos I have seen, it looks like it comes with the XFCE desktop, is that the case? I was just wondering why perhaps Gnome 3 wasn't chosen as the default, as it is quite keyboard and touchscreen friendly, and possibly also more suited to physically smaller displays than some environments.

Do programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office come already installed, or is the install fairly minimalist so as not to take up too much space with the initial install?
Those things are installed when you do a sudo apt-get update and apt-get upgrade in a terminal after the initial boot.
(05-22-2018, 10:13 AM)xero50 Wrote: Whilst I am not typically familiar with the finer details of what different desktop environment do and don't include these days, it seems to me that the default environment is LXQT with the additional option for Plasma. In both cases, the applications installed seem to be what one would expect from those DE's, and are quite comprehensive.

Thanks! I'm not familiar with LXQt, but having looked it up, I see that it's a Qt (rather than GTK+) based follow-up to LXDE (which in turn is not dissimilar in appearance to XFCE, which I why I wondered if that is what it was).

I'll need to find some time over the next few days to flash my Gemini and get Linux installed for myself!